Another chapel was opened in 1417 by Louis, Count of Vendme, who had been captured by the English at the Battle of Agincourt and fought alongside Joan of Arc at the siege of Orlans. The majority of windows were cleaned and restored by the famous local workshop Atelier Lorin at the end of the 19th century but they continued to deteriorate. Most windows are made up of around 25 to 30 individual panels showing distinct episodes within the narrative; only Notre-Dame de la Belle-Verrire includes a larger image made up of multiple panels. Furthermore, although they became powerful and wealthy organisations in the later medieval period, none of these trade guilds had actually been founded when the glass was being made in the early 13th century. A more serious fire broke out on 7 September 1020, after which Bishop Fulbert (bishop from 1006 to 1028) decided to build a new cathedral. Workers of various professions gathered in particular locations around the cathedral awaiting offers of work. "A Controversial Restoration That Wipes Away the Past". The stone pillars were covered with stucco, and the tapestries which hung behind the stalls were replaced by marble reliefs. It is in the High Gothic and Romanesque styles.
Work nevertheless progressed rapidly: the south porch with most of its sculpture was installed by 1210, and by 1215 the north porch and the west rose window were completed. Mary's infertile parents Joachim and Anne, harken back to the pre-Christian cult of a fertility goddess, and women would come to the well at this location in order to pray for their children and that some refer to that past. The north transept rose (10.5m diameter, c. 1235), like much of the sculpture in the north porch beneath it, is dedicated to the Virgin. The left portal is more enigmatic and art historians still argue over the correct identification. The cathedral has three large rose windows.  The glorification of Mary in the center, the incarnation of her son on the left and Old Testament prefigurations and prophecies on the right. As well as their basic functions of providing access to the interior, portals are the main locations for sculpted images on the Gothic cathedral and it is on the west faade at Chartres that this practice began to develop into a visual summa or encyclopedia of theological knowledge. The local Revolutionary Committee decided to destroy the cathedral via explosives and asked a local architect to find the best place to set the explosions. However, it was found three days later, protected by priests, who fled behind iron trapdoors when the fire broke out. The first church dated from no later than the 4th century and was located at the base of a Gallo-Roman wall; this was put to the torch in 743 on the orders of the Duke of Aquitaine.  These heavy columns of stone were joined to the walls by double stone arches, and reinforced by columns, like the spokes of a wheel. For a definitive study of the social and economic life of medieval Chartres based on archive documents, see; Andr Chdeville, Stained glass windows of Chartres Cathedral, The Good Samaritan Window, Chartres Cathedral, Learn how and when to remove this template message, The Good Samaritan Window, Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres, Saint Thomas Becket window in Chartres Cathedral, "Let there be light? This window was a donation of the Mauclerc family, the Counts of Dreux-Bretagne, who are depicted with their arms in the bases of the lancets. The architectural critic of the New York Times, Martin Filler, called it "a scandalous desecration of a cultural holy place. , Work was begun on the Royal Portal with the south lintel around 1136 and with all its sculpture installed up to 1141.
Central tympanum of the Royal portal. There were four great fairs which coincided with the main feast days of the Virgin Mary: the Presentation, the Annunciation, the Assumption and the Nativity. It is U-shaped, 230 meters long, next to the crypts of St. Peter's Basilica in Rome and Canterbury Cathedral, it is the largest crypt in Europe and serves as the foundation of the Cathedral above.
 The President of the Friends of Chartres Cathedral Isabelle Paillot defended the restoration work as necessary to prevent the building from crumbling. By the mid-12th century, the role of Chartres had waned, as it was replaced by the University of Paris as the leading school of theology. At the time, the framework over the crossing had the largest span of any iron-framed construction in Europe. , On the night of 10 June 1194, another major fire devastated the cathedral. It was finished about 1165 and reached a height of 105 metres or 345 feet, one of the highest in Europe. A statue of one of the martyrs, Modeste, is featured among the sculpture on the North Portico.
Textiles were sold around the north transept, while meat, vegetable and fuel sellers congregated around the south porch. "Be of good heart," cry the dead artists out of the living past. , Plan of the labyrinth of Chartres Cathedral, Walking the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral. Central doorway of the South Portal, with column statue of Christ. All thats left most artists seem to feel these days, is man. An additional seven spires were proposed in the original plans, but these were never built. It was built in the late flamboyant Gothic and then the Renaissance style. There are 167 windows, including rose windows, round oculi, and tall, pointed lancet windows. Reconstruction began almost immediately. Our works in stone, in paint, in print are spared, some of them for a few decades, or a millennium or two, but everything must finally fall in war or wear away into the ultimate and universal ash. The nave and transepts are flanked by single aisles, broadening to a double-aisled ambulatory around the choir and apse. Only the crypt, the towers, and the new facade survived. The ordinance assigned to the wine-sellers part of the crypt, where they could avoid the count's taxes without disturbing worshippers. Early in the French Revolution a mob attacked and began to destroy the sculpture on the north porch, but was stopped by a larger crowd of townspeople. East of the crossing are four rectangular bays terminating in a semicircular apse. The statement of purpose declared, "the restoration aims not only to clean and maintains the structure but also to offer an insight into what the cathedral would have looked like in the 13th century." The western rose (c. 1215, 12m in diameter) shows the Last Judgment a traditional theme for west faades. The arches and columns of the porch are lavishly decorated with sculpture representing the labours of the months, the signs of the zodiac, and statues representing the virtues and vices. Either side of this are four lancets showing the four evangelists sitting on the shoulders of four Prophets a rare literal illustration of the theological principle that the New Testament builds upon the Old Testament. One of the few parts of the cathedral to survive the 1194 fire, the Portail royal was integrated into the new cathedral. The book used the cathedral's architecture and history as clues in the search for a lost Gospel. Later modifications (13th18th centuries) and the Coronation of Henry IV of France, Windows in aisles and the choir ambulatory, Chapel of Piatus of Tournai, bishop's palace and gardens. , At the base of the North Tower is a small structure which contains a Renaissance-era twenty-four-hour clock with a polychrome face, constructed in 1520 by Jean Texier. There arent any celebrations. The central portal is a more conventional representation of the End of Time as described in the Book of Revelation. Excavations for that tower were begun straight away. The site for the south tower was occupied by the Hotel Dieu that was damaged in the fire. The floor is slightly tilted so that it could be washed out with water each morning. It remains so to the present, attracting large numbers of Christian pilgrims, many of whom come to venerate its famous relic, the Sancta Camisa, said to be the tunic worn by the Virgin Mary at Christ's birth, as well as large numbers of secular tourists who come to admire the cathedral's architecture and historical merit. In fact, the present building is only marginally longer than Fulbert's cathedral. , The altar (18th century) by Charles-Antoine Bridan, Sculpture on the choir screen (16th18th century), The high ornamental stone screen that separates the choir from the ambulatory was put in place between the 16th and 18th century, to adapt the church to a change in liturgy. The Flamboyant Gothic North Tower (finished 1513) (left) and older South Tower (11441150) (right), Detail of the Flamboyant Gothic North Tower, The clock pavilion, with a 24-hour astronomical clock, The two towers were built at different times, during the Gothic period, and have different heights and decoration. Go on singing.
, In 962 the church was damaged by another fire and was reconstructed yet again. The screen has forty niches along the ambulatory filled with statues by prominent sculptors telling the life of Christ. Plans were made for the addition of seven more spires around the cathedral, but these were abandoned. , In 1506, lightning destroyed the north spire, which was rebuilt in the 'Flamboyant' style from 1507 to 1513 by architect Jean Texier. Some of these figures, such as gargoyles, also had a practical function; these served as rain spouts to project water far away from the walls. On 10 June 1194, another fire caused extensive damage to Fulbert's cathedral.  In 1194, when the cathedral was struck by lightning, and the east spire was lost, the Sancta Camisa was thought lost, too. It is surrounded by a much larger crypt, the Saint Fulbert Crypt, which was completed in 1025, five years after the fire that destroyed most of the older cathedral.
 It took its name from Lubinus, the mid-6th-century Bishop of Chartres. The middle window depicts the life of Christ, and the left window depicts the Passion of Christ, from the Transfiguration and Last Supper to the Resurrection. John James, "An Examination of Some Anomalies in the Ascension and Incarnation Portals of Chartres Cathedral". , On 27 February 1594, King Henry IV of France was crowned in Chartres Cathedral, rather than the traditional Reims Cathedral, since both Paris and Reims were occupied at the time by the Catholic League.  The harmonious appearance of the faade results in part from the relative proportions of the central and lateral portals, whose widths are in the ratio 10:7 one of the common medieval approximations of the square root of 2. The bishop's palace, also to the north, is built of brick and stone, and dates to the 17th century. He appealed to the royal houses of Europe, and received generous donations for the rebuilding, including a gift from Cnut the Great, King of Norway, Denmark and much of England.